The Venture Living & Learning Community offers first-year business students exciting opportunities to live, learn, lead, and serve. Through a network of community members, peer mentors, instructors, and residence hall staff, you will make lasting connections and create a strong foundation for success at UT, and in life beyond college.
The Venture LLC will be located in Clement Hall for 2023-2024. All LLC locations are subject to change.
As a Venture community member, you will benefit from a unique learning corridor that includes your residence hall, Hodges Library, and the state-of-the-art Haslam Business Building – an arrangement that provides easy access to numerous academic and technology resources.
By taking courses together, you will quickly develop strong bonds and have a unique opportunity to form study groups, participate in tutoring sessions, and challenge and support one another throughout your transition from high school to college.
The Venture LLC will emphasize concepts of intercultural awareness and social responsibility so that you can begin building the skills and knowledge needed to become future business and community leaders. Through a series of workshops, guest speakers, and field trips, you will examine models of sustainable business and will evaluate the need for ethical and citizenship behavior in a global context.
Through community-based, service-learning projects, you will have an opportunity to enhance your interpersonal and leadership skills through real-world projects while gaining a greater appreciation of the role that business leaders can play in a community.
Past Service Learning Partners: The University of Tennessee Medical Center Cancer Institute, Junior Achievement of East Tennessee, The Salvation Army, and the Humane Society of the Tennessee Valley
Goals of Venture Living & Learning Community
- To bring first-year students together to form a network of peers, instructors, advisors, and mentors
- To promote student success, active learning, teamwork skills, and intellectual engagement
- To create meaningful opportunities for campus involvement and leadership development
- To increase the connection between campus and the local community through service learning
Venture LLC students will live in the residence hall with other Venture students, and participate in the required kick-off event after move-in in August. In addition, you will participate in a leadership workshop, a service-learning experience, community activities, and enrichment opportunities throughout the year.
Venture LLC students will enroll in the following coursework:
- Business Administration 100: Approaches to the Haslam College of Business (1 hour)
- *Math 119: College Algebra or Math 123: Finite Mathematics (3 hours)
- MGT 202: Principles of Management (3 hours)
- Business Administration 102: Service Learning Seminar (1 hour)
- Communication Studies 240: Business and Professional Communication (3 hours)
- English 102: English Composition II or English 255: Public Writing (3 hours)
*Exceptions will be made to the math requirement based on placement, AP credit, or dual enrollment
Haslam College of Business Administration
342 Haslam Business Building
Knoxville, TN 37996