University Housing is dedicated to cultivating innovative leadership opportunities, positive learning experiences, and an appreciation of university traditions for our students and staff. We provide students with the on-campus experience through our staff, programs, and resources offering not only a memorable on-campus experience, but the skills to achieve academic and personal goals.
Our goal is to provide a variety of housing options to current students, so that they can continue to enjoy the benefits on living on campus. Please review the information below to participate in the 2017 Room Selection:
Beginning January 9, visit My UT Housing to register for room selection, review profile information, and select roommates.
Same Hall, Same Room Selection:
Want to stay where you are? Same Hall, Same Room begins February 5.
Same Hall, Different Room:
Want to move to a new room in your current hall? Same Hall, Different Room begins February 6.
Different Hall, Different Room:
Want to try something new? Different Hall, Different Room begins February 13.
Are you excited about living on campus, and looking for a roommate who shares that same excitement? Finding a roommate with similar interests, study habits, or hobbies can be a key component to a successful first year on campus. We recognize that not everyone comes to college with a specific roommate in mind, so we offer a tool called RoomSync to connect students with each other for roommate matching!
- Once Room Selection is completed and a room has been selected, the student cannot cancel their housing contract.
- Mutual roommate requests give either roommate authorization to act as an agent, entering into a contract with University Housing. Once one roommate in a mutual roommate request selects a room, both students are bound by the terms of the University Housing contract.
- Due to high demand, students wishing to live in Volunteer Hall and Brown Hall are encouraged to have a backup plan and utilize the waiting list.
- Students requesting a buyout in a non-apartment hall should select their desired room, then log into My UT Housing to submit a wait list request for that room, and write “buyout” in the notes field.
- The townhouses in Volunteer are not available during room selection. Additionally, there is only one 3-person apartment on each floor of Volunteer hall, and seven in the entire building.
- All apartments in Laurel Hall are two-person. On each floor, apartments ending in 01, 02, 07, 08, 09, 10, 15, 16, 17, 18, 23, & 24 are private bedroom apartments. Apartments ending in 03, 04, 05, 11, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, & 22 are shared bedroom apartments.
What if I can’t sign up during my window?
You may sign up any time after your window has opened and prior to 5:00pm on the closing date for each period of Room Selection.
May I keep my current buyout for the next year?
No. Due to the anticipated freshman enrollment, University Housing is unable to offer buyouts at this time.
How do I request a roommate?
Prior to selecting a room, current students and their preferred roommates (students currently enrolled at UT) may enter a mutual roommate request. Both students must register for Room Selection, and roommates/suitemates may be added at any time prior to selecting a room.
May I invite a friend from off-campus as a roommate or suitemate?
Yes, as long as they are a current UT student. However, they must complete registration for Room Selection and request you as a roommate. Roommate choices must be confirmed prior to selecting a room.
Can I cancel my contract for next year if I sign up now?
No. This contract may not be canceled unless you are no longer attending the University of Tennessee.
Do I have to pay a housing deposit when I select a room?
No. Your deposit is included in your student fees.
What happens if I do not select a room?
No charges will be assessed and you will not have a University Housing contract for next year.
If I can’t get the room that I want, can I get on a waiting list?
You may sign up for the waiting list after you have selected a room for next year. Signing up for the waiting list does not cancel your contract, even if we are unable to move you to your preferred hall/room.
If I select a room during room selection, am I guaranteed that space for next year?
Generally, students will remain in the room that they select. However, University Housing reserves the right to move students when space, maintenance, or other needs dictate.