The purpose of this LLC is to promote collegiality and build community among the 15 first-year Haslam Scholars. Participation in this community provides opportunities for scholars to develop life-long friendships and fosters collaborative learning. Scholars will participate in a number of curricular and co-curricular activities, which focus on program pillars of social justice, social responsibility, integrity and diversity.
Through their curricular and co-curricular activities scholars will:
- Meet faculty across colleges and disciplines
- Gain a better understanding of social problems and the power dynamics
that influence them;
- Learn to leverage their scholarship and learning to support community-based problem solving; and
- Gain a better understanding of the importance of civic engagement in a democratic society.
There are curricular and co-curricular requirements for first year scholars including:
- Completion of HSP 257: Power (fall)
- Completion of HSP 267: Life (Spring
- Fifteen hours of community service at Pond Gap Elementary School
- Attendance at a combination of 7 Friday Faculty and Global Awareness lectures
- Attendance at program events such as the Fall Retreat and other
Dr. Matthew Blaylock
Honors & Scholars Programs