The Discovery Living & Learning Community (LLC) gives students, from all majors, the opportunity to engage with the Office of Undergraduate Research through a weekly research seminar series. These seminars will include a variety of topics of interest to students seeking research placements at the University of Tennessee during their undergraduate experience. This is a great opportunity to learn the skills of research in a supportive community of peers. Undergraduate research opens doors to graduate school, exciting careers, and success in life. Find your passion. Join Discovery!
The Discovery LLC for first-year students will be located in Clement Hall for 2021-2022. All LLC locations are subject to change.
Sample seminar topics include:
- How to Write an Abstract
- How to Conduct a Literature Review
- How to Get Started in Undergraduate Research
- How to create an Effective Research Poster
- Leveraging Your Undergraduate Research for Nationally Competitive Awards
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- and many more!
All students will have the opportunity to:
- Connect with faculty and staff through the Research Seminar Series
- Receive guidance in finding a faculty-mentored research position
- Tour a variety of labs on campus
Why Discovery? Students will gain:
- Exposure to many aspects of the research process, through the Office of Undergraduate Research Seminar Series
- Interaction with faculty who conduct research in a variety of disciplines
- Social, community-service, educational and multi-cultural programs
- Academic support through in-house study groups for all major introductory science and math classes
- Access to Office of Undergraduate Research Peer Advisors to discuss research experiences and opportunities
- Opportunity to continue in the Discovery LLC as upperclassmen
Freshmen residents in the Discovery LLC will be required to:
- Attend the Research Seminar Series, Wednesdays from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- Design their class schedule so they are able to attend the weekly seminar series.
- Attend 3 LLC social events per semester
Sophomore residents (and above) in the Discovery LLC will be required to:
- Find a faculty-sponsored research project in your discipline and participate for at least 5 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters (optional academic credit)
- Attend 2 LLC luncheons per semester
- Attend 3 LLC social events per year
Department: Office of Undergraduate Research