The Discovery Living & Learning Community (LLC) gives students, from all majors, the opportunity to engage with the Office of Undergraduate Research through a weekly research seminar series. These seminars will include a variety of topics of interest to students seeking research placements at the University of Tennessee during their undergraduate experience. This is a great opportunity to learn the skills of research in a supportive community of peers. Undergraduate research opens doors to graduate school, exciting careers, and success in life. Find your passion. Join Discovery!
Discovery– The Discovery LLC for first year students will be located in Clement Hall for 2020-2021. All LLC locations are subject to change
Sample seminar topics include:
- How to Write an Abstract
- How to Conduct a Literature Review
- How to Get Started in Undergraduate Research
- How to create an Effective Research Poster
- Leveraging Your Undergraduate Research for Nationally Competitive Awards
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- and many more!
All students will have the opportunity to:
- Connect with faculty and staff through the Research Seminar Series
- Receive guidance in finding a faculty-mentored research position
- Tour a variety of labs on campus
Why Discovery? Students will gain:
- Exposure to many aspects of the research process, through the Office of Undergraduate Research Seminar Series
- Interaction with faculty who conduct research in a variety of disciplines
- Social, community-service, educational and multi-cultural programs
- Academic support through in-house study groups for all major introductory science and math classes
- Access to Office of Undergraduate Research Peer Advisors to discuss research experiences and opportunities
- Opportunity to continue in the Discovery LLC as upperclassmen
Freshmen residents in the Discovery LLC will be required to:
- Attend the Research Seminar Series, Wednesdays from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- Design their class schedule so they are able to attend the weekly seminar series.
- Attend 3 LLC social events per semester
Sophomore residents (and above) in the Discovery LLC will be required to:
- Find a faculty-sponsored research project in your discipline and participate for at least 5 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters (optional academic credit)
- Attend 2 LLC luncheons per semester
- Attend 3 LLC social events per year
Department: Office of Undergraduate Research