We are excited to welcome you to the University of Tennessee! Living on campus is an important component of your UT experience, and we are happy you are joining the Volunteer community!
Room Selection at the University of Tennessee allows incoming students to select their own room, providing an opportunity to choose their campus experience.
To ensure the quality of the first-year experience, UT requires all first-year students to live on campus. Housing for transfer and returning students is optional, and availability is dependent on vacant space.
Missed our room selection webinar? You can catch up here:
Please review our step-by-step instructions below to participate in Room Selection for incoming students:
Shortly after confirming your enrollment, University Housing will send an email notification indicating that your contract has been activated. Please follow the instructions below to complete your contract:
- Log in to your University Housing Portal using your NetID and password.
- If you have forgotten your password, click here and follow the instructions provided. Once you reset your password, return to step one.
- Select Manage My Housing from the top navigation.
- Select the “Contract (Fall 2021 Spring 2022)” option from the available terms.
- Once you submit the housing contract, you will have the option to complete a Roommate Matching Profile and browse for potential roommates.
- Return in May to your University Housing Portal to participate in the Room Selection process. Your date and time to select your room will be determined by random lottery, and you will receive additional information in April. University Housing will contact you in April with instructions on how to participate in Room Selection.
Are you excited about living on campus, and looking for a roommate who shares that same excitement? Finding a roommate with similar interests, study habits, or hobbies can be a key component to a successful first year on campus. We recognize that not everyone comes to college with a specific roommate in mind, so we offer a tool called a roommate matching tool in your University Housing Portal to connect students with each other for roommate matching!
- Under “Manage My Housing” in your Portal login, select Roommate Matching Profile.
- Your Roommate Matching Code is how your potential roommates will find you. You can also find your potential roommate if you know their Matching Code.
- Make sure that “Display in Roommate Search results” is selected if you want others to be able to find you in the matching system.
- Under Roommate Matching, select Search for Roommates by Details to search for a specific roommate by their Matching Code.
- Make sure and confirm any matching requests with roommates you wish to link with.
Roommate matching is available for roommate groups of up to four students. Once a roommate group is formed, anyone from the group can select on behalf of all students in the group when their selection window begins.
Once you have completed your housing contract, you will be eligible to select your room once your Room Selection time slot begins.
Room Selection will provide you with an opportunity to choose your own campus experience at UT. There are many housing options available and we encourage you to learn more about available room styles.
In April, you will receive a room selection time slot in your Volmail prior to room selection beginning in May.
ROOM SELECTION TIME SLOTS
Time slots determine when you can access the Room Selection system in the University Housing Portal.
Time slots for Room Selection are determined by random lottery prior to the beginning of room selection.
Once open, your Room Selection time slot remains open until the end of the Room Selection process. After you have made your initial room selection, you can return to the portal at any time to review room availability and modify your choice.
ROOM SELECTION PROCESS
After the start of your time slot, the Manage My Housing tab in the University Housing Portal will present you with rooms in residence halls where space is available and for which you are eligible. In that process, you will select a room, and assign your matched roommate if applicable.
After you confirm your room selection, you will continue to have the opportunity to change your assignment in Manage My Housing as space becomes available throughout the summer
- Mutual roommate requests give either roommate authorization to act as an agent, entering into a contract with University Housing. Once one roommate in a mutual roommate request selects a room, both students are bound by the terms of the University Housing contract.
- The roommate in a roommate group who has the earliest time slot can select on both roommates’ behalf. “Group Leader” status does not impact the ability to select a room.
- Roommate matching is available for roommate groups of up to four students. Once a roommate group is formed, anyone from the group can select on behalf of all students in the group when their selection window begins.
- Due to high demand in some halls, students are encouraged to have a backup plan. After you have made your initial selection, you will have the opportunity in the University Housing Portal to monitor new availability and change your selection in real time.
What if I am not available at the start of my Room Selection Time Slot?
Your time slot is a start time only. Once your time slot has opened, you may participate in room selection throughout the summer. If you do not select a room at any time, University Housing will assign you at the end of the summer to available space.
How do I request a roommate?
Prior to selecting a room, students and their preferred roommate may enter a mutual roommate request. Both students must have completed a housing contract, and a roommate may be added at any time prior to selecting a room.
Can I add a roommate later?
Only those roommates who have matched prior to selection will be able to assign space on one another’s behalf. You can still match to a roommate after you have selected a room, but you will then have to change rooms to select a room together.
How do I request a suitemate?
Roommate matching is available for roommate groups of up to 4 students. Once a roommate group is formed, anyone from the group can select on behalf of all students in the group when their selection window begins.
Can I cancel my contract for next year if I sign up now?
You can request a cancellation of your contract in the University Housing Portal, on your contract summary page.
Do I have to pay a housing deposit when I select a room?
No. Your deposit is included in your enrollment confirmation fee.
What happens if I do not select a room?
If you do not select a room at any time and do not cancel your contract, University Housing will assign you at the end of May to available space.
If I can’t get the room that I want, can I get on a waiting list?
Due to high demand in some halls, students are encouraged to have a backup plan. After you have made your initial selection, you will have the opportunity in the University Housing Portal to monitor new availability and change your selection in real time.
If I select a room during room selection, am I guaranteed that space for next year?
Generally, students will remain in the room that they select. However, University Housing reserves the right to move students when space, maintenance, or other needs dictate.
The university is committed to providing equitable access to the housing experience for students with disabilities. If you need disability-related accommodations, please complete the Housing Accommodation Application with Student Disability Services right away. You may also contact Student Disability Services at 865-974-6087 or via email at email@example.com if you have any questions related to your accommodation request. Please note the implementation of accommodations and room assignment are contingent upon room availability at the time of approval.